Jerman's Rating: 3 steps forward and 3 steps back. If these steps canceled each other out (which they don't) it would be morally neutral, but it is actually a phenomenal movie. I know I loved it, and would recommend it, except for the heavy usage of certain 4 letter words, and an unnecessary sexual scene. If this keeps you from not watching the film- this isn't the movie for you. However this doesn't bother everyone on the planet- you all will enjoy the movie a.k.a. get stuff out of it.This film has a unique style and pace. It didn't bother me, but I can see it bothering some people. If you don't know whats going on- don't be bothered by it, its on purpose- you'll be caught up. The story is told in a slow, random weird way. But, the characters aren't boring. You'll be intrigued by the weirdness and get caught up in it. There's a magical, endearing, realistic quality to the characters. The dialog fits them all, and is very telling. The words were carefully chosen. I'd say the plot falls between loose and non-existent. Its first a finding yourself journey which connects with a love story. Perhaps not very intricate of a plot, but that doesn't mean its less good. Onto thematic things.
I'm a romantic, perhaps thats why I liked this movie. Romanticism is this film's doctrine. What exactly constitutes being alive? Can you be alive without living? Whats the difference between having no emotions, no feelings, and being dead? We are shown that emotions, passions, love, pain all make you alive. Yes, love is put on a pedestal, but so is pain, and hurting- there is glory in all feelings, not just the good ones. That's what romanticism is all about.

There is a discovering yourself theme, which would appeal to teenagers and young adults. "Exploring the endless Abyss" There's a kind of weird randomness climb, crescendo, and climax (when finding yourself is referenced), and slow down.
Strong cuss words are used freely, used as a means to express yourself. A weird thing happens which is sexual (main characters not involved). Its treated as being weird, with much annoyance from the main characters, but is not condemned. Acceptable as long as other people do it, is what's taught. There is a good amount of drugs. They are shown to be white trash, but aren't discouraged either. Except prescription anti-depressants- these are shown in a strong negative light, and dependence on them is bad.
Here is one quote which I'll end with, its a good indicator of the language. These lines jumped out at me.
"f-- this hurts so much" "I know it hurts. but its life. and its real. and sometimes it f-- hurts, but its life. and its pretty much all we got"
1 comment:
I enjoy your movie reviews tremendously.
Post a Comment