10.10.2006

Things that make you go "hmmm"

I haven't posted in about a week. As much as I would like to sit down, watch a good film and contemplate it, there simply was not time for it, although I'm going to have to do it sooner or later to retain my sanity. Any suggestions on what to watch would be appreciated.
I'm taking a history class right now that I am loving. A few one liners that I especially like:

If you were a good Catholic church member in Galileo's time, who would you side with? the eccliastical instiution or the scientist? Would you yourself dare to look into Galileo's heretical telescope? When to stick with what you have vs. when to change is a hard question.

The enlightenment is generally thought of as a good thing- to be called an enlightened person, is to be given a compliment. Its about freedom, justice, democracy, daring to know, progessiveness, seeking new knowledge, challenging old ideas, seeking deeper understanding. These are dangerous ideas- they were uber-dangerous during the enlightenment era, and they are just as uber-dangerous now. Any institution, buiseness or anything that espouses tradition, hates and loathes enlightenment. The point? good in past tense, bad in present tense... right?

Romanticism vs Realism/Classicalism. This fascinates me for some reason. Classics are about tradition, upholding the established, reason, order, reducing and inducing mathematical expressions for natural and human laws and life, unity, conformity- people that live in the Clyde building. The Romantics hate everything about classicalism and hate reason, its all about emotion, passion, spontaneity, creativity, humanness, both the highs and the lows of human existance, love, and as much emotion you can. This is epidomized in Moulin Rogue (overly romantic the whole way thru). The battle between the two is the greatest thing ever. Which is maybe why I like Dead Poets Society so much- because the romantics won in the end...right?

Quote from John F. Kennedy: "Those that make reform impossible make revolution inevitable."

These are a few of the things I liked, and for some reason I could never stop thinking about BYU, To me- it is the traditionalist institution described in all points. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'd first say that its bad, because its obvious, but now I have to think about it again.

5 comments:

Stephalumpagus said...

I'm pretty sure I'm a little bit of both. I'm definitely a romantic, but I am also very traditional in some ways and I'm usually hesitant about changing. In the past year I've really gone towards the non-traditional side though...

Good stuff to think about...

And we really should go eat at that Thai place.

Samantha said...

I'll reserve my opinion on this--mostly because I find that my views tally with no one else's--however, I'll also say...I'm so excited to see you guys this weekend!!! Have a safe trip tomorrow, and we'll try to keep the snow at bay until after you leave.

the Jerman said...

but samantha! Thats exactly why I would want to hear your opinion, hopefully I can hear it later.

Sir Robert Chiltern said...

I wasn't aware you'd started a blog. I spent a while reading back through all your posts and you'll be on my list of regulars I visit in the future. I enjoyed it greatly - I suppose I should expect no less from you. You've always had very serious well-thought-out views on things :)

Anonymous said...

That's a good question. BYU's a hard one, though, since it's tied to the Church. So, traditional, but also linked to an institution based on eternal truth.....a lot of the scientific progress that was feared and stifled was really just drawing on other eternal truths - scientific laws that were probably used to create the earth. No eternal truth in fashion. No eternal truth in art.
That quote from Kennedy was cool. I've never heard that.
I read a cool book about Galileo for my History class. I think it was called...Galileo. Maybe you'd like it.