10.21.2006

off.the.hook



Last night I attended the 2nd annual holloween kick-off party. It was totally off the hook, I had a blast with one short unrelated event that I was unprepared for. The festivities inlcuded palm-reading for an hour or so. I was giddy from the sheer awesomeness of a party of this excellence and that the hosts had secured a palm reader who was all dressed up in typical gypsy garb (they really wear that stuff btw). I was all smiles and laughs as I sat down and she proceeded to tell me "usually the left hand if easier to read, but your opposite, your right hand is better", after initial palm examination she told me that I was a very independent person- I didn't rely too heavily on my friends, and on my family even less. There was a silence, then she asked- "you don't fall in love very often do you?" Rather than respond, I was more taken aback that I was asked that. She continued, "You don't have much direction when it comes to love, mainly because you choose not to fall in love, its not a priority to you." pause "But your career line is very strong, You have excellent direction and are sure of what you will do, you will be very successful your career." she stops looking at my hand and looks up at me and kind of smiles "looks like you'll make a lot of money but be very lonely. . .Its not impossible for you to fall in love, but you make it difficult for yourself" By this point I was wide eyed and wasn't laughing much. I tried to make as strong a mental note as I could while stumblind down the stairs a little disoriented by what just happened.

This has made me think a little: I very frequently get fortune cookies, and palm-reading gypsies to give me helpful advice and insights into myself and the future. When I pray and seek such things on my own I only get silence, I've gotten the same silnce for a long time. Or is it that God is choosing to work through fortune coookies and actor-gypsies? Waiting until I go to a chineese restraunt for New Years to give me a particularly relevent message or an off-the-hook halloween party to talk to me? Somehow- I dont think so. Which leaves a lot unexplained, and me with a lot of unanswered questions.

3 comments:

Sir Robert Chiltern said...

Personally, as much fun as fortune cookies are (I actually have the message from one taped to my desk which seemed particularly relevant to my life when I opened it a week ago), I think these things fall into the category of coincidence. As humans we have a natural tendency to look for patterns to explain things. I often reflect on this in my field, since often we attempt to train machines to find patterns by emulating biological models of the brain or by studying human processes.

We always manage to find how a fortune cookie fits in with our life - we seek until we find the pattern. However, I do think our interactions with others are of great value. Often another person is the best mirror for ourself. The caveat, of course, is that ultimately we are masters of much of our fate - something that no gypsy can see.

Samantha said...

Ummmm...maybe the gypsies know you better than God....

Yeah, I don't think so either. Looks like God wants you to do a little soul searching before he gives you the answers. And you'll find them, just as you always have.

I'm missing you tonight. I hope you're having a wonderful evening.

Distinguishing Preoccupation said...

Wow, when I lived in Eastern Europe, all the gypsies did there was try to steal money from me. Definitely thought provoking. I had a neighbor that used to read tarot cards. That was wierd.

-Cas